Strawberry with cherry cake is my son’s favorite which I discovered recently when I baked cupcakes for my cake stall. He is otherwise a very choosy and fussy eater but loved this flavor and wants to eat it everyday. The color came out to be prefect pink and attractive too. The flavor was different from the usual vanilla and chocolate that we generally bake and see everywhere. And the cherries added the final touch to the plain cake, gives a wow effect :)!
- All purpose flour (cake flour/maida)- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (depends upon taste buds)
- Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
- Curd- 2-3 tbsp
- Cooking oil- 1/4 cup
- Strawberry paste – 3-4 drops (this is strawberry emulco available in shops)
- Artificial pink or red food color – 2 drops
- Cherries – 1 tbsp (depending upon need and taste)
- salted butter (at room temperature) – small cube
- Milk 2tbsp ( approx, added to have a flowing consistency)
Method for Preparation:
- Preheat the oven @ 180 C, 10 minutes before baking.
- Sift together maida, baking powder & soda bicarbonate. This step is generally recommended for getting a fluffy cake.
- Beat oil, softened butter, sugar, milk, yogurt, strawberry paste and pink/red color till the cake batter is light & fluffy and the sugar gets dissolved completely.
- Fold in the sifted flour.
- Add the cherries to the cake batter and mix gently.
- Line a muffin/cupcake tray with liners. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins or until the toothpick/fork inserted comes out clean.
- You can bake it as a cake also. For the above mentioned qty, you can use a 6 inch round cake tin.