I always wondered, what is the real difference between a cupcake and muffin. Did some research and came to a conclusion; there’s a considerable overlap between the two. But listing a few main differences below:
- The cupcakes are small in size and muffins a little larger than cupcake.
- The cupcakes are moist, spongy and soft while the muffins are a little dry and a have a crumby texture like a bread loaf.
- The muffin batter is a little denser than a cupcake.
- Cupcakes are made sweeter, muffins are made into savory breads too.
- Muffins are also made from whole wheat flour and oats as healthy options and topped with fruits.
But believe me when I say this: the roasted almond and raisin muffins taste so yummy and flavorful that you will be forced to try this recipe at least once. Ingredients:
- 1cup plain flour (maida, can be substituted with wheat flour for a healthier version)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I like making it more sweet for my kids)
- Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Cocoa powder (optional, in case you want to make vanilla flavour, omit it otherwise go ahead make the sinful chocolate muffins)
- 1 tbsp vegetable/olive oil
- 1 small cube butter (this is just for a lil flavour)
- 1 tbsp curd (essential to add if you are making eggless muffins)
- Lil milk in case required to smooth batter a little
- Raisins and Roasted almonds (cut and roasted in 1/2 tsp ghee)
Method: While starting with the prep, preheat your oven at 180 degrees for 10 min. Mix together all dry ingredients – all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and keep it aside. Now take all wet ingredients- oil, butter, curd, vanilla essence together in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, mix well. Now in three portions, add the dry ingredient to the wet ones, and mix well in one direction (that’s what my mom told when I was small, I still remember, I think it’s just a myth, but still who doesn’t want to bake a perfect muffin). In case the batter is very dry, add milk little by little, don’t make the consistency very thin. The mixture for muffin is ready, line the muffin try with muffin liners, in case not available, grease the tray and pour the mixture, half filled in each section, because we need to give it space to rise. Sprinkle roasted almonds and raisins on the top. Bake the muffins for 25-30 min till they look a little golden brown, voila your yummy muffins are ready 😋